Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

BYU Mint Brownies

Better than
BYU Mint Brownies



Well, not exactly. In my college days I worked at BYU in the Cougareat pastry kitchen. Not only did I learn how to completely botch recipes like Creme Brulee, week after week, I was able to eat way too much cookie dough :) And I still managed not to gain weight. Ah, the life of a busy college student.

Anyway, I also learned to make and love BYU mint brownies, which are pretty famous in Utah County. My mother-in-law has a pretty dang good recipe that is close to theirs. Well, actually, it's better than theirs. It's true. Try it for yourself to if you don't believe me. For the first BYU football game this season, I made some in honor. Instead of the typical green mint frosting I made these blue. And of course, I needed to top them with some BYU cupcake flags.



RECIPE:

Brownies:
**Use one (or two boxes, dependent on how thick you like them....we like 'em thick) of regular brownie mix and bake as directed in a 9x13 glass pan.
OR from scratch...
1 cup butter
2 c sugar
2 tsp vanilla
4 eggs
1 cup flour
1/2 cup cocoa
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup chocolate chips, optional
1 cup chopped nuts, optional
Directions:
melt butter, add sugar, vanila and eggs. Blend well. Stir in flour, cocoa and salt, mix well. Then add chocolate chips and nuts, if desired.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until set.
Do not add frosting until brownies have sufficiently cooled.

Mint Frosting:
4 Tbsp butter, melted
3 cups powdered sugar
1/2 tsp mint extract
food coloring
milk to the right thickness
Directions: Mix together and spread over brownies. CHILL for 1 hour.

Chocolate topping:
Melt 6 Tbsp butter and 6 oz (3/4 cup) of chocolate chips. Spread over frosted layer. CHILL, about 1 hour, cut into squares when chocolate no longer looks "wet", but not too stiff or it will crack.

Enjoy!!! Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment