adapted from Life as Mom
Serves: 6 large waffles (I have a four-square Belgian iron)
- 1 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 1/8 cup sugar
- 1/8 cup baking powder
- 1/4 Tablespoon salt
- 1/4 Tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 cups buttermilk (or use 2 cups milk with 2 Tbsp vinegar until it curdles)
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup sugar-free applesauce
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup zucchini, cut into thick slices (about 1 medium zucchini)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flours, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Whisk to blend.
- In a blender, combine the buttermilk, oil, eggs, and zucchini. Blend until smooth.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and fold to combine.
- Spray waffle iron with cooking spray and pour in about 1 cup batter. Cook.
- Cool baked waffles on a rack.
- Freezing instructions for waffles: Place the cooked waffles in a labeled freezer bag, removing as much air as possible and store the bag in the freezer.
- To thaw and serve: Simply reheat frozen waffles in the toaster or toaster oven for quick morning meals.